Our approach was originally modelled on the clinical 28 Day Minnesota Model approach used by Europe’s top addictions treatment clinics. Colin, our Programme Director, trained and worked in some of these clinics, both in England and here in South Africa. In the process of the growth of our facility and the maturation of our team that approach has since been supplemented by the deeply experiential insights of Bethesda’s team of counsellors and our supporting professionals.
Our Primary Programme can run for 28 days, but we are repeatedly witnessing our most profound results coming from our 3-month Primary Programme. Bethesda’s Treatment Programme is deeply rooted in the first five steps of the 12 Step Recovery Programme. These steps are the absolute foundation of every successful recovery programme and are therefore our entire focus. Our lengthy written assignments are all geared towards and focused on taking clients deep into the destructive root system of their addiction, with the view to empowering the client towards maturity into a chemical-free lifestyle. Our addiction specialists closely monitor each of the client assignments and work together to create group therapy and one-to-one counselling sessions directly related to our observations.
One-to-one and group sessions run daily and can often be called spontaneously in order to address surfacing personal needs when identified through the inevitable dysfunctional in-house relational dynamics.
Every interaction between staff and clients is of a therapeutic nature. We are not here to make friends.
On the whole, a typical day consists of:
- Group Daily Devotion Quiet Time & Thought for The Day
- Recovery Lectures leading to extensive Personal Assignments
- Topical Growth Groups followed by One-to-One Counselling
- Group Psychotherapy (mixed and gender-specific)
- Recovery and Relational Topical Groups
- Relapse Awareness and Prevention Groups
- Life Skills and Post-therapy Conflict Preparation
- Educational DVD’s and Lectures
- In-house 12 Step (AA/NA) group run by the clients